Luigi De Giudici
of The Futurist Art Movement
Futurism was founded in Italy in 1909,
initially as a literary movement founded by the poet and writer Filippo
The Futurists embraced everything modern. The loved motion,
technology and modernity. The Futurist Manifesto is somewhat
overbearing and rabble-rousing in tone - but their hearts
were in the right place. The artists were tired of corny sentimental
scenes of rosy cheeked milkmaids and portraits of the bloated
aristocracy. The Futurism Manifesto demanded that artist run to the
local library and "set fire to the library shelves". The movement
influenced many painters, includingMarcel
such movements as Cubism and
enthusiastic adherence to Futurism, we will:
1. Destroy the cult of the past, the obsession with the ancients,
pedantry and academic formalism.
2. Totally invalidate all kinds of imitation.
3. Elevate all attempts at originality, however daring, however violent.
4. Bear bravely and proudly the smear of “madness”
with which they try to gag all innovators.
5. Regard art critics as useless and dangerous.
6. Rebel against the tyranny of words: “Harmony” and “good taste” and
other loose expressions which can be used to destroy the works of Rembrandt, Goya,
7. Sweep the whole field of art clean of all themes and subjects which
have been used in the past.
8. Support and glory in our day-to-day world, a world which is going to
be continually and splendidly transformed by victorious Science.
The dead shall be buried in the earth’s deepest bowels! The threshold
of the future will be swept free of mummies! Make room for youth, for
violence, for daring! -- Manifesto of the Futurist
Artists by Century
Painters Born in the 13th Century
Painters Born in the 14th Century
Painters Born in the 15th Century
Painters Born in the 16th Century
Painters Born in the 17th Century
Painters Born in the 18th Century
Painters Born in the 19th Century
you feel you have worthwhile information you would like to contribute
we would love to hear from you. We collect essential biographical
information and artist quotes from folks all over the globe and
appreciate your participation. When submitting please, if possible,
site the source and provide English translation. Email to email@example.com
you like this page and wish to share it, you
are welcome to link to it, with our thanks.